In Christ our human nature has been redeemed, we are restored in fellowship with God, and we have received a calling and purpose. We find everlasting joy in our relationship with the King.
Scripture: Psalm 8
- Through the angels God announced great joy for all people (Lk. 2:10-11).
- This joy is much more than superficial happiness; it is based on God satisfying the deepest longings of the soul.
- It was foretold that Jesus would have a kingdom without end (Lk. 1:31-33), and so we sing in the Carol, “Let earth receive her King.”
- Psalm 8 is a Christmas text because it speaks of the reign and rule of the God-man Jesus.
- The coming of Jesus is good news because due to the entrance of sin into the world, our created state and communion with God have both been broken.
- We all need a Saviour because we have worshipped the creation rather than the Creator.
- We have lived a lie thinking we can be our own gods, and this has lead to frustration and anger, which leads to self-pity and resentment toward God and others.
- The salvation Christ has to offer is from sin into wholeness and victory; this is the root of our cause for joy today.
- So we can be restored to our position as kings and queens in fellowship with God.
- In the singing of children the victory of God is declared.
- To those who would try to silence the children, Jesus quotes Psalm 8 where we read that God ordains their praise (Matt. 21:15-16).
- In our fallen state we are lower than angels. But the sons of Adam and Eve will again be crowned with glory and honour (Heb. 5:9-10).
- Jesus is Lord into whose hands has been given all dominion.
- We are invited in Christ to be His body, His people. Today if we are covered by Christ’s blood we have access to the holy presence of God.
- Only though Christ do we discover what a human being is. He is the head of a new race of mankind and He calls each of us to be part of His kingdom.
- God’s name is exalted over all and we now share in the glory and reality of who Jesus really is.
- In Christ our human nature has been redeemed, we are restored to fellowship with God, and we now have a calling and purpose.
- To be a Christian is to be fully satisfied in our relationship with the King.
- How is Psalm 8 related to advent season?
- Why does the world fail to enter into lasting joy despite all the partying?
- How can we enter into the everlasting Joy of God?
- What is our calling and purpose as God’s redeemed humanity?